I hesitate to make statements about values because in the end, it’s all about actions, words are cheap. However, given the need to build trust with prospective buyers and sellers within a relatively short period of time, here goes!
- Transparency – Simply put, the more we share and earlier in the process the better. This allows either party to “exit” early and goes a long way toward ensuring that once the deal is done, all parties feel they’ve won!
- Keep Commitments – I’m maniacal about keeping commitments. From being on time for a meeting to delivering documents when and where as promised, I do what I say I’m going to do. If something changes, I’ll de-commit and leave of time for the other party keep their commitments.
- Make Decisions – I make decisions and take action. There are times where both parties can agree to slow things down, that’s fine. We should never “hide out” or stall to gain a (theoretical) advantage.
- Win-Win – I love repeat business! The single most important key to “going again” is that both parties feel they gained once the deal is done, it’s a true win-win transaction!
- Accountability – If people don’t keep their end of the bargain I let ’em know. Either party can and should challenge the other to “step-up” and keep their commitments!
I want to do business with people whose values are aligned with my own, especially at my age. If I sound like the kind of person you’d like to do business with, please give me a call!